This delicious Shrimp Fried Rice is quick and easy to make. The shrimp is marinated for 10 minutes, sauteed to a beautiful golden brown, and then added to white rice. A quick 30-minute meal with basic ingredients makes this Shrimp Fried Rice a dinner that your family will love.
Tips to Make Shrimp Fried Rice
1. I recommend using leftover rice. Make the rice a day or two before so it isn't sticky and it is nice and cold when it hits the pan. Do not use fresh, warm rice or it will become sticky and gooey when it hits the pan.
2. I sauteed the rice and shrimp in olive oil but you can also use canola oil.
3. After sauteeing the shrimp and rice, I recommend adding the cooked eggs and veggies one at a time and stirring between each addition. If you add it all at once it will cool everything down too much.
4. I always use 1 to 2 Tbsp of soy sauce at the end. Taste it and feel free to add more sesame oil to your preference.
5. I wouldn't advise skipping the sesame oil because it will give a nutty flavor and make your Shrimp Fried Rice taste more like authentic Chinese Rice.
6. Cook over high heat. Fried rice is supposed to cook quickly over high heat so give your pan a chance to heat up before adding your ingredients. Also, give the ingredients time to sizzle and resist the urge to stir constantly.
Watch Jana Make Shrimp Fried Rice
If you enjoy our videos, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel and click the bell icon so you’ll be the first to know when we post a new video. THANK YOU for subscribing!
How to Prepare the Rice
It is highly recommended that you use white rice that is leftover a day or two, but if you need it immediately then be sure to rinse the rice before cooking it until the water runs clear. This will remove any starch from the rice.
Cook the rice according to the instructions on the package and then cool in the pan until room temperature. Spread the rice flat into a nongreased baking sheet and refrigerate until really cold. This dries the rice out so it won't turn gummy when it hits the pan.
Jasmine rice is so wonderful for this recipe but any brand of white rice will work.
Ingredients for Shrimp Fried Rice:
- Used 20-24 count or 26-30 count RAW shelled and deveined shrimp.
- Add 1 small bag of frozen peas-Do not thaw them.
- Add more soy sauce at the end to taste – it’s better to add it later than to overdo it early on. I usually add 1/2 to 1 Tbsp more at the end. Make sure you're not skimping on the soy sauce when preparing this dish. Taste it at the end and if it seems a little bland, add more soy sauce.
- Sesame oil is the secret ingredient for a truly authentic Chinese rice.
Healthy & Gluten-Free Options
You can definitely substitute a few ingredients to make this recipe completely gluten-free. Rice is already gluten-free but you can always substitute the soy sauce to a gluten-free brand like Tamari soy sauce. If you want your dish to be soy-free then simply substitute for coconut aminos.
If you're not a fan of rice you can substitute the rice for cauliflower.
How to Get Creative
Substitute the Shrimp: This dish can easily be used with many varieties of meat. Try substituting the shrimp with steak, chicken, or lamb. You could also go meatless and just double the egg! The eggy, meatless version is amazing!