Homemade hot chocolate is so much better than boxed mix. And our recipe is extra decadent, thanks to the actual chocolate we add in. For a perfect cup of cocoa every time.
POPULAR RIGHT NOW
Whole milk is best.
When you’re drinking hot chocolate, you’re most likely not looking to cut calories. Go all out with whole milk. Whole milk will actually give you a better flavor. If you are wanting to keep healthy then by all means use skim or low-fat, don’t worry. This recipe will still totally work.
Don’t walk away from the pot!
If you walk away from the pot while it is simmering it is likely to boil over.
Use your favorite kind of chocolate.
We’re partial to semi-sweet (60% cocoa) or bittersweet (70%). But if you like your cocoa a little bit sweeter and creamier, feel free to use milk chocolate. Sometimes I will even add in pumpkin or mint chocolate chips. If you want to splurge even more, add in your favorite chocolate bar.
Have fun with the toppings.
I like to add whipped topping to my cup of hot chocolate but you can also add icecream. Sprinkle in a dash of extra cocoa powder for that extra yum!
Ingredients for Hot Chocolate:
- I used whole milk but you can use any kind of milk.
- unsweetened cocoa powder. You can substitute with sweetened cocoa powder.
- I used organic real maple syrup but you can use any maple syrup you have on hand. You can even use honey.
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
Watch How to Make Hot Chocolate:
Watch Jana make this homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe. It is so easy and the best hot chocolate you will ever taste. It is so chocolaty and creamy.
If you enjoy our recipes, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel and click the bell icon to get notifications when we post a new video. THANK YOU for subscribing!
- In a medium saucepan add in the milk and cocoa powder. On a low simmer whisk together until well blended.
- Add in the maple syrup and whisk on a low simmer until there are no clumps.
- Continue simmering for approximately 5 minutes. After 5 minutes it should look foamy and frothy on top.
- Add the semi-sweet chocolate chips and whisk continuously on low simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
- Pour into a mug and add your favorite toppings. Enjoy
For a healthier hot chocolate substitute the whole milk for 2% or any other type of milk.
Substitute the maple syrup for honey
Feel free to use any chocolate chips of your choice. You can even use your favorite candy bar.
Remember not to walk away from the pot while it is simmering. It will more than likely boil over.