- Cream the butter for about a minute or two until nice and fluffy. To the creamed butter add the powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- Add the egg whites and mix together.
- Mix in the all purpose flour one cup at a time. Add the 4 Tbsp of all purpose flour, almond flour and salt. Mix in the vanilla and almond extract until combined. If it gets too hard to mix use a spatula or large spoon. Do not be afraid of over mixing. Rolling Out the Cookies
- Roll out your cookie dough in between parchment paper. Place the parchment paper along with your rolled out dough into the refrigerator. Chill for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes place the chilled dough onto a floured work area. Roll out your dough to about 1/4 to 3/4 inch thickness. Cut out your shapes.
- Roll 1 dough ball into 1/4 to 3/4 inch thickness; cut cookies using a square, star, or circular cookie cutter. Repeat with the second dough ball. Cut out the center of cookies using a 1-inch square cookie cutter. Arrange cookies on the parchment lined baking sheets about 1 inch apart.
- Bake at 170C or 340F for 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Spread about 1/2 teaspoon raspberry jam into the center of each whole cookie. Sprinkle the cut-out cookies with confectioners' sugar; place 1 cut-out cookie atop each raspberry jam-topped cookie.
Fillings are wonderful for these cookies. Jam is a nice option. You can use homemade or store bought. There's so many flavors to choose from. Melted chocolate is a nice filling to use also. You could use milk, dark or white. You can also use a classic royal icing. Another option is vanilla buttercream or chocolate buttercream but it won't be as stable.
To gift these cookies you can use a normal box with lid or you can wrap the box with cellophane. You can get about 10 to 12 bags of cookies.