These easy apple turnovers have a delicious apple cinnamon filling wrapped in a no-fuss already made pie crust and drizzled with vanilla icing. It is ready in 30 minutes and they make an awesome treat when you want to make some quick and easy!
When you have a sweet tooth these apple turnovers will hit the spot! They are delicious and satisfying, plus they are so simple to make!
Ready-Made Pie Crust: This is a super-easy shortcut to make a flaky turnover! If you prefer homemade, you can definitely use an Easy Homemade Pie Crust Recipe instead.
MY OTHER RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE APPLE TURNOVERS
1. preheat oven to 400F then peel your apples, cut the flesh from the core, and dice into smaller pieces about 1/4 inch thick.
2. In a medium bowl combine the apples, brown sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, lemon juice, salt, and cornstarch.
3. Mix together with a wooden spoon until well combined. Set aside.
4. Roll your pie crust to a square that’s about 12×12 inches then divide it into four squares. Repeat for the other pie crust so you end up with eight pieces.
5. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and work on the paper so you don’t have to transfer the assembled turnovers. Add apple filling to half the square leaving about a half-inch border. Brush the edge with an egg wash then fold in half.
6. Crimp the edge together with a fork then brush with egg wash, cut slits on top, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400F for about 18 minutes or until golden and puffed.
7. While the turnovers are baking make a simple icing by adding about a tablespoon of water and a teaspoon of vanilla to 3/4 cup of powdered sugar then mix until smooth. You can add some lemon juice for a bit of a lift or more water if you need to thin the consistency out.
8. Drizzle the glaze over the warm turnovers and enjoy!
TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
- Make these in advance and then pop them into the freezer. You can bake them frozen so they make a great dessert at the last minute
- You can mix up the spices! Try adding a Tbsp of caramel with the filling or drizzle on top. Yum!
- If you don’t have brown sugar you can absolutely use granulated.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS AN APPLE TURNOVER?
A pastry dessert filled with pieces of sweetened apples, with the pastry folded over to enclose the filling.
WHAT APPLES SHOULD I USE FOR THIS?
The Best Apples for Baking. Honeycrisp apples are the sweetest around and the high price tag reflects their popularity. Pink lady apples have the perfect balance between sweetness and tartness. Baking these apples heat really brings out the apple’s honied, vanilla flavors. Braeburn apples are super crisp and firm, making them the ideal choice for baking. Granny Smith apples are one of the most popular baking apples because of their super-tart flavor. You can also combine them with Honeycrisp apples for that counterbalance. The tartness of the Granny Smith combined with the sweetness of Honeycrisp is phenomenal! Gala apples of all the varieties of apples out there, these melt in your mouth the best!
CAN YOU FREEZE TURNOVERS?
Yes! Freeze your unbaked turnover on a baking sheet then transfer to a freezer bag and store for up to three months. Bake them without thawing, just know they will take a few more minutes to bake through.
If you’ve tried this Apple Turnovers recipe then don’t forget to leave a rating and let me know how it turned out, I love hearing from you!
First thing you must know about me... I ♡ FOOD. I have been in an apron in the kitchen with my momma since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. I enjoy cooking..baking.. making smoothies.. doesn't matter!! I love every minute of it. It makes my heart do a little skip dee do, and call it a day. Now I'll go melt some chocola.